April 2, 2008

Yesterday a random question flew through my mind:

"If you could wish any three things for your children, what would they be?"

And then like the scene from Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, I heard a small addendum run through my brain:

"Choose wisely."

It was that last part that really got me thinking...

In the Disney movie, Aladdin, he wishes for fame and fortune. Just like every other movie character when a genie, lamp, and three wishes are involved. For it's the immediate need...the biggest desire...the grandest luxury that one goes after in that moment.

But as I carefully weighed my thoughts, making sure to "choose wisely", these are not the things that came to mind. As I begin to truly search my heart concerning my hopes for my children's lives, thankfully, I found myself hoping for more than mere conveniences.

I thought of long, fulfilled lives. Where passion for Jesus, their spouses, and their faith was rock solid. unshakable. contagious.

There was more that I considered. Hopes that hit my heart in rapid speed. But then my thoughts were interrupted...the little ones, whose very lives I was pondering, called out. They needed me. in the now.

But today the whole thing came rushing back. and something occurred to me.

Those things can be prayed for.

I know, I know. It's a "duh" statement. But it hit me hard. Because when the random thought of "wishes" ran through my head...I really considered it, you know? I took time to actually think about it.

But how often do I just sit around and think about the things that I can devote my life praying for concerning my girls?! How often do I get excited thinking about the weight and influence that my prayers can have on the rest of their lives?!

So today I am asking myself. What ARE my hopes for them? And how can I back those desires with daily, fervent, committed prayer?

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Good stuff. Can't help but think that your littlest girl and my littlest guy would make the darling littlest couple :D If you get a sec to check out the las pic in my photo entry today, let me know if you disagree :D

javamamma said...

Have you read "Power of a Praying Parent"? I found it a good help to get prayer for my kiddos on my daily agenda.

Also, a couple years ago I wrote down their name meanings and asked God for specific verses to pray for each one. It's kinda morphed into a journal with prophetic words and specific prayer requests written in.

It's easy to let their little lives pass without being intentional about interceding for their future. Thanks for the reminder!

Crystal said...

From birthin' Dora to life-changing prayer for our children...your breadth of ideas is astounding. ;0)

Great reminder, Christin. Like JavaMamma, I have a journal for each of the kids but I've done a terrible job of keeping up with it lately...I'm going to add the "3 Wishes" to my prayers for them. :)

Davene said...

So profound...so inspiring. Thanks for the reminder.

Crystal said...

I'm tagging you....check out my blog when you get a moment. :)

Luv ya.

Unknown said...

ack! I wanted you to see the CUTE picture of my littlest in my winsome wednesday post...not the mud stained face of yesterday...talk about putting your worst foot forward :D

And about being a fun mom, wait till that fourth one arrives, I'm convinced each addition lends to a "funner" and more "flexible" mom ;)